5 tips on how to make flying with a baby easier
5 Tips on How to Make Flying with a Baby Easier by Mim Jenkinson is sponsored by Britax.
Your first family holiday is such a special time for you all. Discovering new places, going on adventures together and even revisiting favourite destinations is all the more fulfilling when you can see it through the eyes of a little one.
That said planning for your first family holiday can, for some, be far from fun. I remember the build up to our first plane journey with my baby – I was terrified! For years I’d seen stressed out parents with crying babies on flights and lugging what looked like a million bags on and off the plane. It just looked hard.
Since my baby was three months old we’ve traveled short and long haul countless times, mainly between Australia and the UK where I’m from. I won’t pretend the journey is something I look forward to because it isn’t! However over the past four years, since our very first family flight, we have picked up some tips and tricks that have made flying with a baby easier for us.
Here are some of our best top tips and I hope they make your next family flight a little easier to manage. That could mean less time stressing about the journey and more time building up excitement for the destination!
Top Tips on How to Make Flying with a Baby Easier
1. Travel as light as possible
Once you add a baby to your travel plans, your days of travelling with just a carry-on bag are probably over. That might not necessarily mean you need to be weighed down like a packhorse though.
Try to pack everything that you won’t need at the airport, or on the flight, in your checked-in baggage. Also consider taking “lighter” versions of the things you do need on board the plane. For example, go through your changing bag and hand bag and remove everything that isn’t completely necessary. Also take a smaller “changing bag” on the plane with you for quicker and easier nappy changes. For example, for quick nappy changes on board, I like to take a plastic bag with one nappy, a packet of wipes and a disposable nappy sack. Those plane toilets are tiny and a cumbersome changing bag can be difficult to negotiate inside!
When our kids were babies and toddlers, we found it really useful to take a stroller with us to the airport. It made getting to and from the gates much quicker and it was somewhere to hang our changing bag. One less thing to carry!
Britax has just launched its first ultra-lightweight stroller – the Holiday™. This innovative stroller is comfortable for your little one to travel in, it folds and unfolds with one swift motion and it weighs less than 5kgs. As well as that, when folded down, it is compact enough to fit into the overhead compartment of a plane. Genius!
Taking the Holiday on your trip means that your baby has a comfortable ride at the airport, you have storage while you’re there and you can easily take it on board with you too.
Watch the Britax Holiday Stroller in action here:
The stroller is suitable for babies from six months to 18kg approx.
2. Check out what your airline provides for your child
Before you fly, contact your airline or check their website to see what extras they will provide for your little one on board. This might also mean you can take less than you think.
From my experience, each airline differs so don’t make any assumptions and be prepared. One airline we flew with did not provide much at all so we took enough bottles filled with sterilised water in our changing bag and then added the formula to them when needed when our baby was bigger.
3. Don’t forget the fun!
I’m not going to pretend that your plane journey will be a fun experience for you or them! Do remember to bring along something to entertain your baby or toddler on board.
Older toddlers might be interested in watching their favourite shows on an iPod and you can also check out what entertainment the airline provides for little ones too. One airline that we flew with provided a lovely goody bag for babies and toddlers. It contained some healthy snacks, colouring books, a soft toy and other little games to keep them busy. If your airline doesn’t provide this, think about putting one together yourself!
4. Plan for your time at the airport
Whilst your attention will be mainly focussing on the plane journey itself, don’t forget that you’ll be spending hours at the airport too.
Having a stroller like the Holiday™ means your baby can stay relaxed and comfortable while you negotiate checking in, finding your gate and boarding the plane. They can stay seated until the very last minute before you fold up your compact stroller, pop it in the overhead locker and take your seats.
We tried one plane journey without a stroller – never again! I had the grand idea of only taking a sling with me to carry my baby, which was great for on board the plane, but wreaked havoc on my back at the airport. I just forgot how big some airports are and how much time you spend walking or standing in queues. Plus, after a trip or two around duty free, the bags I was carrying suddenly doubled in size and weight!
5. Keep your eyes on the prize
Keep in mind that your journey, however long, will be over soon.
When you arrive at your final destination and put down those bags, your journey will quickly become a thing of the past and you can settle in to enjoying your holiday!
Want to grab your own Britax Holiday Stroller?
Click here to find out more about it!
Download your free checklist to make for a smooth flight every time!
Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions of entry, including information on how to participate and prize details (Terms), apply to the promotion and entry into the promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms.
- The promoter is Tell Me Baby. ABN 25 155 148 093.
- Entry is open to residents of Australia aged 18 years or over excluding:
a) management, employees, directors and contractors of the Promoter, its related bodies corporate, firms or companies associated with the promotion (including suppliers of prizes);
b) a spouse, de-facto spouse, parent, guardian, child or sibling of a person referred to in paragraph 3(a) of these Terms;
c) persons who have breached the terms and conditions of any promotion run by or on behalf of the Promoter, (Eligible Entrants). The persons referred to in paragraph 3(b) of these Terms includes natural and non-natural relations (in the opinion of the Promoter) and the Promoter is responsible for determining whether a person is an Eligible Entrant in its absolute discretion.
- This Promotion is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner.
- The Promotion ends at 11:59pm 14th December 2017.
- To enter, Eligible Entrants must complete the entry form on tellmebaby.com.au
- Prize includes 1 x Britax Holiday Stroller worth $229. Cost of delivery will be at the expense of Britax.
- Incomplete entries or those that contain defamatory comments are ineligible to win.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries not received for any reason during the promotion period. No responsibility will be taken for lost, late or misdirected entries. The Promoter does not warrant that the entry mechanism will be available at all times during the Promotion Period.
- Eligible Entrants may only enter once and in their own name.
- The winning Eligible Entry/Entries will be chosen by a selection panel based on the entrant’s creativity and skill in submitting a review of their favourite baby product on the tellmebaby.com.au site. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered in to.
- If an Eligible Entrant wins a prize, they must be a Subscriber at the time of it being awarded.
- Winners will be notified by email and their name will be published on the Entry Page within a day of winning.
- The Promoter will do its best to contact the winner/s. If a winner does not accept their prize within one month of being chosen, the Promoter will select the next best Eligible Entry/Entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right to select alternate winner/s if it determines in its sole discretion that the winner/s do not adequately satisfy these terms and conditions.
- Prizes are not transferable and not redeemable for cash.
- The prize winner is responsible for any expenses, fees and costs connected with the prizes that are not included in the prize descriptions.
- The prize(s) will be delivered to the residential address as provided by the winner(s) by the prize supplier. The Promoter conducts this Promotion on behalf of the prize supplier and is not responsible for any loss, damage or delivery of the prize once the prize supplier has been provided with the winner’s details.
- The Promoter and their promotional partners are not responsible for any loss or damage in relation to the prize once it has been awarded.
- Promoter reserves the right to change the dates of the promotion if required. If for any reason the promotion is incapable of being run as planned, including due to infection by infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its absolute discretion to take any action that may be available to it, including cancelling, terminating, modifying or suspending the Promotion. Notice of any changes to the promotion will be given at http://tellemebaby.com.au/competitions
- Any Eligible Entrant who, in the opinion of the Promoter, tampers or interferes with the entry mechanism in any way, engages in any unlawful or improper conduct which jeopardises or is likely to jeopardise the fair or proper conduct of the Promotion, or who does not properly comply with the entry process, will be ineligible to receive a prize or enter further promotions run by the Promoter.
- All entries become the property of the Promoter. Once submitted, your entry will not be returned to you. By entering the promotion, Eligible Entrants acknowledge that the Promoter is granted a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in perpetuity to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of their entry in any media for the purposes of this competition and inclusion in the Promoters products and marketing materials.
- The Promoter and its promotional partners will use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion, and award the prize. If you win a prize, the Promoter can use your name to credit you for your entry and for marketing purposes.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest. We hereby release Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest of any liability. You understand that you are providing your information to Tell Me Baby and not to Facebook.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning. This Promotion is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook