How to choose the best breast pump for work + $200 giveaway
How to choose the best breast pump for work by Mim Jenkinson
If your maternity leave is ending soon, you might be thinking about choosing a breast pump to help build a supply of breast milk and the transition back to work.
Many mothers who return to work decide to pump breast milk on a schedule during the day to allow their baby to continue having breast milk while they’re away.
Some mums choose to start to build a breast milk supply for the weeks and months leading up to them going back to work. But choosing a breast pump can feel a little confusing and overwhelming as there are so many different models on the market.
Plus, mothers have differing needs and requirements for their breast pumps – one size might not fit all.
Sponsored by Medela.
We’ve teamed up with Medela to bring you some key information for choosing the best breast pump for work. Plus, we share some tips for pumping at work to make the process as successful as possible.
Choosing the right breast pump for returning to work
Breast pump options
There are four key options to consider when it comes to choosing a breast pump:
- A manual breast pump
- An electric breast pump
- A single breast pump
- A double breast pump
Manual and single breast pumps can be a cost-effective option for mothers who want to express milk occasionally. However, if you need to pump more frequently to keep milk supply up and avoid engorgement, they might make the process slower than it needs to be.
Electric pumps are easier to use and much more convenient as the motor pumps for you. Medela’s range of electric breast pumps operate either plugged in or with batteries, giving you two convenient options to power them.
Double breast pumps are a great option for saving time and if you’re returning to work, this might be at the top of your priority list.
A double pump means less time expressing and, according to Medela, “using a double breast pump delivers 18% more milk on average than pumping from each breast in turn”.
For returning-to-work mums, Medela recommends a double electric pump, such as the Medela Swing Maxi or Medela Freestyle. They allow mums to collect more milk in less time, making it perfect for quick pumping breaks.
Why rent a hospital grade breast pump?
Have you considered hiring a hospital grade breast pump?
Some mothers use the Symphony hospital grade breast pump to increase their supply in the early weeks after the birth of their baby. You can also hire a Symphony breast pump at any stage in your breastfeeding journey – this could see you through so you may not have the need to purchase a personal use pump.
The Medela Symphony Hospital-grade breast pump can be rented for as long as you need one.
All Medela pumps have a unique research-based suction patterns that have been clinically tested, and the Symphony hospital grade pump has Symphony PLUS Technology to initiate, build and maintain milk supply.
Tips for breast pumping at work
Medela recommends that you start expressing milk around six weeks before returning to work.
In this time, you’ll start to get used to pumping and using your breast pump, plus build up a supply of expressed breast milk in the freezer.
Before you return, speak to your employer about where you will be able to pump at work.
This should be a private room where you can take your breast pump, set up and pump at times throughout the day. A portable breast pump that can be plugged into the wall or powered with batteries makes this much easier for you.
Your employer might have a specific lactation room, a private room or office. Pumping in the toilet is unhygienic and not advised!
Taking your own private cooler bag and ice packs to work is an option if you do not want to store your milk in the shared office fridge or freezer.
You might be a little nervous about breast pumping at work, which is completely understandable. However, many mothers returning to work do this. Speaking openly with your employer before you return should ease any worries you may have.
In time, you will find a new rhythm to your day and be able to plan a breast pumping schedule that works for you. The process will become easier and quicker!
If you want to find out more about your breastfeeding rights in the workplace, check out these FAQs on the Australian Breastfeeding Association website.
Click here to find out more about the Medela range and get some greats hints, tips and advice on the Medela Breastfeeding Blog and read more from other mums.
To read hundreds of Medela product reviews from Australia mums, click here.
Win a $200 Medela Gift Card!
Would you like to win a $200 voucher to spend at Medela’s online shop?
To enter, simply complete this entry form:
Entries close at 11.59pm on Tuesday 23rd April 2019 and the winner will be announced in our newsletter, so make sure you’re signed up here.
Follow Tell Me Baby on Facebook
Follow Tell Me Baby on Instagram
Follow Medela on Facebook
Follow Medela on Instagram
Terms and Conditions:
- These terms and conditions of entry, including information on how to participate and prize details (Terms), apply to the promotion and entry into the promotion is deemed acceptance of these Terms.
- The promoter is Tell Me Baby. ABN 25 155 148 093.
- Entry is open to residents of Australia aged 18 years or over excluding:
a) management, employees, directors and contractors of the Promoter, its related bodies corporate, firms or companies associated with the promotion (including suppliers of prizes);
b) a spouse, de-facto spouse, parent, guardian, child or sibling of a person referred to in paragraph 3(a) of these Terms;
c) persons who have breached the terms and conditions of any promotion run by or on behalf of the Promoter, (Eligible Entrants). The persons referred to in paragraph 3(b) of these Terms includes natural and non-natural relations (in the opinion of the Promoter) and the Promoter is responsible for determining whether a person is an Eligible Entrant in its absolute discretion.
- This Promotion is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner.
- The Promotion ends at 11:59pm 23rd April 2019.
- To enter, Eligible Entrants must complete the entry form on tellmebaby.com.au
- Your email address will be provided to Medela.
- Prize includes 1 x $200 Medela online store Gift Card.
- Incomplete entries or those that contain defamatory comments are ineligible to win.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries not received for any reason during the promotion period. No responsibility will be taken for lost, late or misdirected entries. The Promoter does not warrant that the entry mechanism will be available at all times during the Promotion Period.
- Eligible Entrants may only enter once and in their own name.
- The winning Eligible Entry/Entries will be chosen by a selection panel based on the entrant’s creativity and skill. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered in to.
- If an Eligible Entrant wins a prize, they must be a Subscriber at the time of it being awarded.
- Winners will be notified by email and their name will be published in our weekly newsletter.
- The Promoter will do its best to contact the winner/s. If a winner does not accept their prize within one month of being chosen, the Promoter will select the next best Eligible Entry/Entries.
- The Promoter reserves the right to select alternate winner/s if it determines in its sole discretion that the winner/s do not adequately satisfy these terms and conditions.
- Prizes are not transferable and not redeemable for cash.
- The prize winner is responsible for any expenses, fees and costs connected with the prizes that are not included in the prize descriptions.
- The prize(s) will be delivered to the residential address as provided by the winner(s) by the prize supplier. The Promoter conducts this Promotion on behalf of the prize supplier and is not responsible for any loss, damage or delivery of the prize once the prize supplier has been provided with the winner’s details.
- The Promoter and their promotional partners are not responsible for any loss or damage in relation to the prize once it has been awarded.
- The Promoter reserves the right to change the dates of the promotion if required. If for any reason the promotion is incapable of being run as planned, including due to infection by infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or any other causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its absolute discretion to take any action that may be available to it, including cancelling, terminating, modifying or suspending the Promotion. Notice of any changes to the promotion will be given at http://tellemebaby.com.au/competitions
- Any Eligible Entrant who, in the opinion of the Promoter, tampers or interferes with the entry mechanism in any way, engages in any unlawful or improper conduct which jeopardises or is likely to jeopardise the fair or proper conduct of the Promotion, or who does not properly comply with the entry process, will be ineligible to receive a prize or enter further promotions run by the Promoter.
- All entries become the property of the Promoter. Once submitted, your entry will not be returned to you. By entering the promotion, Eligible Entrants acknowledge that the Promoter is granted a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in perpetuity to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of their entry in any media for the purposes of this competition and inclusion in the Promoters products and marketing materials.
- The Promoter and its promotional partners will use the personal information contained in your entry to conduct the promotion, and award the prize. If you win a prize, the Promoter can use your name to credit you for your entry and for marketing purposes.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest. We hereby release Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Pinterest of any liability. You understand that you are providing your information to Tell Me Baby and not to Facebook.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning. This Promotion is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook